Manchester United suffer huge blow ahead of Premier League clash against Liverpool
Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick has revealed his team will be without five first-team players as they get ready to take on Liverpool at Anfield on Tuesday night.
United will be able to call upon Bruno Fernandes, despite the Portuguese international being involved in a minor car crash on Monday.
However, Fred, Raphael Varane, Scott McTominay, Luke Shaw and Edinson Cavani are all expected to be unavailable.
All five were absent on Saturday as United survived a fight-back from Norwich City to pip Dean Smith’s side at Old Trafford. There were defensive issues during that 3-2 win, as Rangnick has recognised, but the continued absence of Varane, in particular, could be a problem.
Varane hasn’t featured for United since the 1-1 draw with Leicester City on April 2, having suffered hamstring and groin problems keeping him out of action earlier in the season.
“Rapha didn’t train with the team, he was on the pitch with one of our rehab coaches,” Rangnick said in his pre-match press conference (per the MEN ). “In regard to injuries, we have the same situation as we had in the last two games.”
Rangnick also provided an update on Fernandes, saying: “Yes, he was training with the team obviously the accident happened on the way to Carrington. As far as I know, no one was injured. He was ok and he’ll be ok for tomorrow.”
The 3-2 win victory over Norwich and coupled defeats for Arsenal and Tottenham has brought Rangnick’s side right back into the top four race.
Man United can move level on point with fourth-placed Tottenham Hotspur if they were to pull off a shock victory at Anfield.
In other news, I made Liverpool what it is says, Ralf Rangnick