Ibrahima Konaté sends clear Sadio Mané backup transfer message to FSG and Liverpool
Alexis Mac Allister’s arrival to strengthen the midfield for what seems to be an affordable price has given Liverpool nearly the perfect start to the transfer season. But first, the group had to get going.
There is no disputing that the Reds’ 2022–23 season was a disaster, and Jürgen Klopp now needs to undertake a significant rebuild in order to make things right. Despite their ability to retain some level of European football for the next season, the 2022–23 campaign was a failure for the Reds.
When Real Madrid announced on Wednesday that they had signed Jude Bellingham, it served as a stark reminder of what Liverpool had to give up in order to address the issues that had arisen over the previous year.
The youngsters was expected to lead the team to a new level of dominance only a few short months ago; now they must find a way to compete with Manchester City.
The pressure is now squarely on FSG to back up Klopp this summer. It must provide him with exactly what he needs, and even current players are aware of this.
Ibrahima Konaté has now said as much, telling RMC Sport: “I think the coach and those in charge of recruitment know that we need new players.
“I believe we have four players leaving this season: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Naby Keïta, James Milner and Firmino. We have to replace them. If we don’t replace them, what do we do? Are we understaffed and lacking in quality? We cannot play with young people at this level.”
Simply said, the club’s owners cannot afford to treat the German unfairly again. According to appearances, Klopp’s relationship with the owners has not frequently been questioned while he is under contract at Anfield through 2026. But another unsuccessful transfer window could increase the 55-year-old’s chances of having second thoughts and making him wonder if he is still at the correct club.
Without a doubt, if Klopp decides it’s time to depart, Liverpool will be in a much worse situation. This year has just made it more obvious that the Reds are led by one of the top managers in the world.
When Sadio Mané chose to leave Liverpool last summer, despite being a heartbreaking moment for many, it was also seen as an understandable decision on the Senegal international’s part. He had won everything he could with the club, and could take his pick of teams for a new challenge.
Unfortunately, for him, things haven’t exactly gone as expected. After being suspended by his club for allegedly striking teammate Leroy Sané earlier this year, he hasn’t achieved the same levels at Bayern Munich and looks to have had a difficult time adjusting. He may now be on Bayern’s summer transfer list, according to reports (the Daily Mail).
It serves as another reminder that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side to any current Liverpool player who may be considering leaving this summer.
Mané joins a long list of players, like Georginio Wijnaldum, Philippe Coutinho, and Emre Can, who have decided to leave the Reds only to find life much harder after leaving. Naturally, it is not a coincidence that they have had trouble without Klopp guiding them.